Habitat for Humanity for San Luis Obispo County is now accepting applications from low- to moderate-income homeowners for its Home Rehabilitation Program.
The scarcity of affordable building land, the cuts in affordable housing funding, and the need to serve more families while conserving assets and revitalizing our County’s aging neighborhoods has sparked a newfound interest in rehabilitating existing homes. HFHSLOCO has become a part of a new movement to expand Habitat’s capacity to help those in need of a safe and decent place to live. Our light is shining brighter as our work serving those in need is restoring hope and dignity to their lives.
Homeowners wishing to apply to HFHSLOCO’s Home Rehabilitation Program must have incomes between 30% and 80% of the county median income, and are selected based on their need for the home rehabilitation, the ability to pay a Habitat deed restricted loan, and a willingness to complete the required hours of sweat equity labor toward rehabilitation of their homes. The deed restricted loan the homeowner will enter into with HFHSLOCO is for a 20-40 year fixed period at 0% interest, and are structured to ensure that homeowners pay no more than 30% of their gross monthly income for housing. Loans for a home rehabilitation project are capped at approximately $45,000.
Families interested in applying to be a Habitat partner family for our Home Rehabilitation program can access the application at HFHSLOCO’s website at www.hfhsloco.org/how-to-apply/home-rehabilitation-program or can call the office at 805-782-0687 for more information and an application.
Applications must be completed in full and submitted by September 30, 2015
- Income for the family must be between 30% and 80% of the median income for the county.
- Ability to make a loan payment (including taxes and insurance). That will note be more than 30% of the household gross income.
- Debt to income ratio (DTI) shall not exceed 43%.
- Provide proof of a reliable source of income.
- Be citizens of the United States OR provide proof of permanent residency status in the United States.
- Must live in San Luis Obispo County.
- Home needing repair must be owner occupied and not a rental unit.
- Contribute 75 Sweat Equity Hours toward the construction on your home or in another manner identified by HFHSLOCO. Family members can contribute to the required sweat equiy hours.
- Commit to being Habitat partners and support efforts of the local affiliate.
Have a need for adequate and/or safe housing.
Household Income Limits for San Luis Obispo County as of April 2015
SLO County Department of Planning and Building Affordable Housing Standards
|Persons in Family||30% of Median||80% of Median|
We are pledged to the letter and spirit of U.S. policy for the achievement of equal housing opportunity throughout the Nation. We encourage and support an affirmative advertising and marketing program in which there are no barriers to obtaining housing because of race, color, religion, sex, handicap, familial status, or national origin.