Habitat for Humanity for San Luis Obispo County brings people together to build homes, communities, and hope. We do this through:
- Building new homes for low-income families in the County to purchase through 0% interest home loans.
- Assisting low-income homeowners improve and rehabilitate their homes through our Home Rehabilitation Program.
- Assisting low-income homeowners to maintain and preserve their home through our Home Preservation Program.
- Transforming lives, and promoting positive social and economic change throughout the County through our Neighborhood Revitalization Initiative.
From 2006 through 2015, HFHSLOCO built 17 homes in San Luis Obispo County – one in Cambria, four in Atascadero, three in Paso Robles, four in Grover Beach, and five in San Luis Obispo. All 17 homes were built with the family’s self-help (500 hours of sweat equity on the construction of their homes) and volunteer labor. HFHSLOCO incorporates universal design features into the homes it builds and includes green/energy efficient features, including photovoltaic systems, solar panels, and low water use fixtures into the homes it builds. These features help to keep utility costs down for the homeowners and supports Habitat’s commitment to green building.
Applicants for a Habitat home must have incomes between 30% and 60% of the area median income, and must meet the following criteria:
• Income for the family must be between 30% and 60% of the median income for the county.
• Ability to make a mortgage payment (including taxes and insurance) that will not be more than 30% of the gross income.
• Debt to income ratio (DTI) will not exceed 43%.
• Provide proof of a reliable source of income.
• Be citizens of the United States OR provide proof of permanent residency status in the United States.
• Must live in San Luis Obispo County.
• Contribute 500 Sweat Equity Hours toward the construction of their home.
• Commit to attend all educational workshops.
• Commit to being Habitat partners and support efforts of the local affiliate.
• Have a need for adequate, affordable, and/or safe housing.
The home price and mortgage financing terms are structured to be affordable including deed restricted loans at 0% interest. HFHSLOCO further supports the families by providing training on construction safety, home maintenance and repair, and workshops on budgeting and financial management, community services, and being a Habitat Partner Family.
Habitat for Humanity for San Luis Obispo County is currently not accepting applications for new home ownership. We will post on our website when the application period opens.
Thank you for your interest in Habitat for Humanity for San Luis Obispo County!
We are pledged to the letter and spirit of U.S. policy for the achievement of equal housing opportunity throughout the Nation. We encourage and support an affirmative advertising and marketing program in which there are no barriers to obtaining housing because of race, color, religion, sex, handicap, familial status, or national origin.
Other Housing Agencies:
Should you find that your family situation does not meet the criteria for Habitat for Humanity perhaps the following resources may be able to assist you:
Housing Authority, City of San Luis Obispo
487 Leff Street
San Luis Obispo, CA 93401
Housing Authority, City of Paso Robles
3201 Pine Street
Paso Robles, CA 93446
People’s Self Help Housing
3533 Empleo Street
San Luis Obispo, CA 93401